Monday 16 June 2014

Public Theology And Politics - Lim Min

I was not aware of a systematic study or area of public theology until we had a conversation with Dr. Roland Chia on public theology. One of my main takeaways was that language on the pulpit has to be translated on a public square to properly engage the public. He mentioned and discussed some recent controversial news including abortion and Health Promotion Board’s Homosexual FAQs and these helped me in my personal engagement with the community around me. I do have friends who are interested in the Christian’s perspective of social issues, and yet I am often unable to provide a convincing and substantiated answer which led me to seek answers from friends and mentors who are actively involved in such ministries. 

Another point brought up was that the government is necessary and is given by the grace of God to maintain order and peace in a country. The following extract states John Calvin’s view on the civil government:
“Calvin’s views regarding government stemmed from his belief in the necessity of civil authority because of the depravity of man, his belief in providence, and his uncompromising certainty that God is sovereign over all things, including governments. His views regarding the corrupt nature of mankind as a result of Adam’s disobedience to God are well documented. He believed that man’s entire being was utterly sinful.” (Extracted from John Calvin on Civil Government by Garry Z. Cole) 
I agree with Calvin’s views on the civil government but I also hope that the church may influence the government in a manner that pleases and honours God. We should be shaping our society with values that are delighted by God. I also feel that churches should not resort to violence or riots when faced with political conflicts but submit with obedience and pray for God’s providence. Dr. Roland Chia mentioned that, “Where the church community is cornered and forced into obedience to the government, in situations where obedience to government means disobedience to God, it is always valid for Christian obedience and accept persecution by governments.” 

Hence, it is always so important for Christians to submit to God and not succumb despite difficult circumstances, reminding me to continue being a salt and light of this world, shining the light of Jesus Christ my Saviour and my Lord.

Lim Min

No comments:

Post a Comment