Wednesday 29 May 2019

The Eternal Journey - Wayne Goh



There is no other “perfect” teaching except God’s. The different denominations are there for a guideline, to teach its members the way to come before Christ. However, we have to be careful, to critically judge for ourselves whether the teachings are that of Christ. 

I learnt not to judge according to what I feel comfortable, but in everything, referring back to the Word of God. STEP has allowed me to be exposed to what the Presbyterian teaching is about. It also taught me the difference between us and the rest of the denominations. I feel that it is important for Christians to know the difference. It shows that we know what we believe in. 

Though doubts and questions are quite common during the duration of STEP, but I thank God that He is my foundation and kept me going. 

Thanksgiving


I thank God for allowing me to be part of STEP. I got to know a wonderful bunch of people, and very willing and loving teachers. Without them, I would not have learnt as much and have such an enjoyable time.

The way of worship

Singing praise to the Lord is a way of worship, but that’s not the only way we can worship. It is only a portion of worship. We gather in church not just to worship with songs, we are there for the fellowship, to encourage one another, to be an example for one another, for we are one body of Christ.

24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. – Hebrews 10:24-25 NIV
For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. – Romans 12:4-5 NIV  

Worship does not only begin and ends in church. It is what we have to do every single moment of our lives. The way we conduct ourselves properly is also part of worship. A question that set me thinking was, “Why don’t I sing to the Lord every single day?” I am often guilty of wanting the music to sound nice instead of singing in Spirit and in truth. We must be careful that we sing to the Lord and not for our own satisfaction.

23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.” – John 4:23-24 NIV
12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. – Romans 12:1-2 NIV


We should worship the Lord with our lives, to be the salt and light of the world. That is what I am striving for, to learn how to love even the unlovable. It is not an easy task, and that is why we need God’s guidance.


Love


Love should not only be displayed when you want to spread the gospel. Always love just like how Jesus has commanded. 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] There is no commandment greater than these.” – Mark 12:31 NIV


I am reminded about how we must love, not expecting any form of return. I am guilty of wanting to spread the gospel, but my life does not really reflect Christ-likeness. Spreading the gospel then became self-satisfaction, rather than glorifying God. This struck me to be more conscious about my actions.


In STEP, we got the chance to visit Sarah SAC. We do not necessarily need to talk a lot, we just need to lend them a listening ear. That is also an act of love. Love is not something that can be paused. It should be brought along everywhere we go.

Conclusion

STEP is just the beginning, a program which allowed me to learn lots about the history and meaning behind Presbyterian. The types of exposure I received, such as visitation to churches of different denomination, senior activity center, Presbyterian schools, really gave me a new view about things. I am able to think and reflect more frequently. 

It allowed me to know the importance of outreach, and not just doing church stuff. I am very encouraged in this program, but I do not wish for it to end after the program. It is time to step out of my comfort zone, also learning to rely more on God. For is it by grace we are saved, and not through works. We should choose to serve rather than be served. 

Hence it is a good reminder, that I am not saved based on how much I serve, but because of God’s grace and love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment