Sunday 8 June 2014

The Mission Of God - Jonathan Lau

We have reached the last week of the STEP program and I guess it is kind of sad that it will end soon. Maybe next year STEP program can be a little bit more than 3 weeks? (Idea!) Looking back, I find it hard to really bond with 25 over people, and from so many different Presbyterian churches in such a short amount of time, but I guess God really work in amazing ways. Firstly, all of us had a goal in mind,that is to learn about God's words. Secondly, all of us really love and cherish the time of fellowship-ing with one another. That short lunch and dinner break, and the trip to botanic garden, everyone wants to get to know each other well and that is so amazing.

In that short amount of time, I have learnt a lot about how God works in many different people's lives. It doesn’t require a lot of knowledge of theology (although theology is important too), all you need to do is to see that problem and 'bang!', that is where you need to go, just like the Samaritan in Luke 10. The Onesimus farm is a place I have never been to or known about,and the first impression it gave me was WHY IS IT AT SUCH AN ULU PLACE!(Cause I have to go there myself :'( ) I like the fact that they uses the simple farming things to convey spiritual message, and how they appreciate small little plants that are growing as a blessing. The Onesimus farm helps to transform many people's live, for e.g. drug addicts.

Also, we went to Aljunied learnt about HealthServe. I was a bit reluctant to go to HealthServe initially as it clashes with the discipleship lesson I had in my church, but still went due to peer pressure. But the amazing thing was that when I stepped into HealthServe again, I actually realize more stuff than the last time. (Maybe I was daydreaming the last time.) HealthServe serves the migrant worker, work as a clinic for them. Then after, we broke up into groups and had dinner with a migrant worker. The one that was following my group was a guy whose one eye is blind. He had an accident and a nail struck his eye. He hasn't receive any compensation yet, even though his accident is closed to a year now. Due to his blindness in one eye, he is going to go back to his country. It is rather sad to hear about his story and I just pray that he will continue to hold on to God as he return back to his home. After that, we went to walk around Geylang red district. It was my first experience and it makes me wonder about why they are doing this. Some for money? I don’t know.

Through Onesimus garden and HealthServe, God opened my eyes to see that there are many people in the society, or rather in the world, that need help. What are we, as Christian, doing? 1 Peter 4:10 'As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace' Then I ask myself, what am I doing? How easy it would be if God can just tell me the direction. And that is something I struggled this week with.

The talk on missional church and missional discipleship was very interesting and refreshing. God is the missionary and we are involved in the mission of God! Never have I thought of God as the missionary, but it is true. He wants us to spread the gospel, spread the good news and we are living testimonies for him! From the past few days of exploring different social work, the area of mission is everywhere! The mission of God is a holistic mission! So what are we doing with our live now! 

For me, I really feel that missions in important, but there is one obstacle in front of me, which is whether I am willing to commit long term. People helping in healthserve and those in onesimus farm never fails to amaze me, because they had given their live to God. They have answered God's calling for them. And I am wondering, whether will I obey God's calling. Well it is really an eye opener to see the areas that I can help in, and I will slowly pray to God for his direction.

Jonathan Lau

No comments:

Post a Comment