Tuesday 29 May 2018

Relationship With God - Joshua Ng

It’s a blessing that God considers us his adopted sons and daughters through faith in Jesus Christ. “For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.” (Galatians 3:26) We are sinners and yet God still love us. My mother had told me that God loves us, and she asked me if I love God. So I had a question “What can I do to show that I love God?”

Relationship with God is a two-way direction. It is never one-way communication where I pray to God to ask for help and never expect a reply. Rather, it is a two-way communication with God, where I should wait for God to reply my question such as “What does God want me to do?” Relationship with God is just like relationship with humans. How I communicate with humans such as sharing the ups and downs of everyday life and decision making, can be communicated with God through prayer. Giving thanks to God for everything, be it good things or sufferings. God wants us to depend on him, and through prayer, giving thanks for my sufferings, I am also depending on him to walk me through. Before any decision making, ask God, “for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfil his good purpose” (Philippians 2:13)

From Rev Lam Kuo Yung, it is important to devote my time to God. As life is always busy, there is a high tendency to be immersed in work and school. Setting aside time to read and understand the bible, prayer builds relationship with God. The bible teaches many things about God. Knowing God is part of the relationship with him. God will give revelation to us. Do not rush this meeting with God.

Biblical counselling is a form of caring for men’s soul and body with the word of God, teaching men to obey God from the heart, and encouraging men to bear forth fruits of the Holy Spirit. Inviting God in this time can also build relationship with God, knowing that I am useless and its God that provide me the strengths to fulfil his good purpose. 

Worshiping God is also a form of communication with God. Core to worship is to tell us that we are coming in front of God for confession prayer and give thanks. The Presbyterian worship is “Who this God is” and our response. We also express our praise during worship. Holy Communion is to remember that Christ died for our sins, and to reunite with him. We are in the presence and union with Christ, that we and Christ are one.

The Catholic Church (Cathedral of the Good Shepherd) I visited with STEP, have great values to learn. Right before the mass started, people quieten their hearts and prayed. There is a verse projected on the screen, for reflection. They were early for the mass and had a sincere attitude throughout the mass, which shows their respect to God. There were reciting of verses, and the verses were not shown on the screen, this means that they memorised it. Memorising verses are important as it is God’s words and it can teach us who God is and what we can learn from God, which is doing things by God’s method.

Having a good relationship with God to me means to love Him and understanding Him through reading His words from the bible and not forgetting that He is always with me. Having faith and being obedient to God. It is a two-way direction.



No comments:

Post a Comment