Saturday 24 May 2014

God Prevails Over the Unthinkable - Sharon Long

God Out of the 4 days I’ve been in STEP, today (22 May ’14) is a day which I received the most enlightenment, hence allowing me to reflect in several aspects.

One of the things that struck me today was when Dr. Violet James shared with us regarding how Christianity grew and slowly flourished in Southeast Asia. She mentioned about how the Japanese Occupation turned out to be a blessing in disguise as the local nationals were forced to take on leadership when the foreigners were made to leave. This ultimately led to the locals slowly converting into Christians through leadership and shepherding. 

It is really amazing how God works even during the Japanese Occupation when there was chaos, anxiety and unrest amongst the people. Who would have thought that having the foreigners to leave could become a factor as to why Christianity is now so prevalent in Southeast Asia? 

This once again reminds me of how able and mighty our God is. He allows His work to be done even during the most unthinkable situations and carries His plans through. It is comforting to know how wise and able our God is and it gives peace to my heart as I know that God always has the best plan for me.

Another thing that struck me was also from what Dr. Violet James shared, regarding how people who converted into Christians were regarded as traitors and never felt home with their new faith. This made me think about how I have been treating the new believers in my church, whether I have been enthusiastic in welcoming them or if I tried to make them feel home in the church. 

Sad to say, I have always been in my comfort zone, unwilling to step out and talk to the new believers. After listening to what Dr. Violet James said, it made me feel very guilty towards God as I feel that I could be the one helping the new believer adjust into Christian life and secure his faith, and yet I chose to stay in my comfort zone. 

Lastly, Calvin Chong’s message reminded me that a church cannot stick to its old ways to function for the youth as the youth now has changed. As a relatively traditional church, it is difficult for the church to change and accommodate to the youth as many factors need to be considered, such as the older generation’s thinking and their responses. As such, I always feel that the youth are very stagnant and not as vibrant as it used to be. This gives me a space to reflect and possibly work on in the future by trying to incorporate more ‘in’ or ‘cool’ stuff to attract the youth.

Sharon Long

No comments:

Post a Comment