Saturday 24 May 2014

Intense Internship! - Sharon Long

Honestly speaking, this is the first time I have been to a training this intense! I looked through the days of lectures and projects to be done, and it somehow felt like school again. I didn’t expect this internship course to be so demanding since I thought of it as a “holiday job” (where holiday = chill), so the amount of things to complete seemed a lot. So naturally, I felt very heavily committed and unsure of what I got myself into. 

After the first day, I got home and spoke to my parents about how stressful this course would be. Thank God for supportive and encouraging parents, they managed to speak some sense into me and I realised later on that the workload isn’t as stressful as it seemed to be (yay!). 

In addition, the company definitely makes up to the stressfulness of this internship course. It is really comforting to be in an environment filled with joyful Christians knowing that we have the same religious beliefs and serve the same God. The interns speak different languages and are also very knowledgeable with the Bible, making this programme a great exposure for me.
 
The visit to TTC was an eye-opening experience for me. I have always found it amazing how a person is willing to give up his stable and possibly good-paying job to enrol into TTC or SBC for the service of God. There are so many factors to be considered and so many things to be given up. 

After listening to Pr. Maggie Low share about how she got her calling and ultimately responded to it, I was once again reminded of how real and alive our God is. Perhaps I will find my answer in the future when I receive God’s calling. For now, this remains a mystery to me.
 
Lastly, something that enlightened me was what Pr. Simon Chan mentioned about teaching only the truth to the church and not the untruth. As a leader myself, it is one of my greatest fears to teach the untruth to my group members. Usually, I would prepare beforehand my bible study materials so that I can teach the right things to my group members. 

However at times, I would be lazy and rely on my own biblical knowledge, which could be very dangerous as I might unknowingly convey the wrong teachings to my group members. This message came to me as a wakeup call to be a more responsible leader and continuously rely on God’s words and not solely on my strength.

Sharon Long

No comments:

Post a Comment