Friday 23 May 2014

Importance of Theology and Ever-Changing World - Sarah Tan

Having entered into the third and fourth day of STEP, I have learnt a whole lot of very interesting and thought-provoking issues which I doubt can be expounded on in this space. Thus, I will pen down the two amazing things that struck an accord with me. 



On the third day, we gathered in the Trinity Theological College to dwell deep into God's Words. We were brought into 'The Importance of Theological Education for Church Ministry and Social Engagement' by Dr. Simon Chan. It was the latter that spoke to me because I personally love helping others in my own small ways. 
When I first felt the need to be more aware in bringing joy in others through my actions, it was nothing more than a "I should do this because it is right" rather than what it truly means. 


Dr. Chan reminded us on Romans 12:13 that says, "Share with the Lord's people who are in need. Practice hospitality," and on Hebrews 13:2 which states, "Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without  knowing it." 
How true it is when we say that doing good is an expression of Christian hospitality to strangers and Christians. I believe our actions are our thoughts manifested and as others cannot testify to our thoughts, but surely they can testify to our actions. 


Dr. Chan also made a statement that if social work reflects the goodness and love of God, social engagements with societal issues reflects the righteousness and justice of God. 
Therefore, I feel that ultimately, we do good to others because it reflects the image of God in us. As for me, this is what I want to be; More and more like Him. 



Moving on, on the fourth day we were soaking in the abundance of God's teachings in the Singapore Bible College. Dr. Calvin Chong led us through the topic on 'Youth Ministry in Transition' which I found the most interesting of all talks for today. He rightly points out that the world is in its peak of transition and acknowledges the challenges that we face and the certain responses the youth ministries need to take into consideration.

http://pennyjhood.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/cholutecafullbridge2.jpgHe used the example of the Choluteca River Bridge in southern Honduras after Hurricane Mitch devastated the area. What happened after the Hurricane was that the river was shifted off the boundaries of what the bridge covered. 

This can also reflect how the world is in its rapid transition and the position of where churches are at. The shifted river represents the fast changing globalised world and the river bridge then represents the traditional religious institutions. 


This is very true because it is an obvious problem that surfaces in, I believe most if not all, churches especially in Singapore. We are so easily and quickly influenced by the forces of this world that the churches are having a hard time to adapt and keep up, as well as to teach us the right, holy and godly way of living when the world shouts at us otherwise. 
And once this problem becomes serious enough to act as an excuse, we see people leaving and this is a very sad situation. I have seen this happen before in my home church and others, and it is my prayer that I may be able to reach out to those who have left and bring them back.

Sarah Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment