Friday 23 May 2014

Presbyterian's History, Church Unity, and My Proactivity - Chin Wei Jun

It had been an interesting two days for me, especially in learning about the history of the Presbyterian churches. I am impressed with the historical significance that shaped the Presbyterian churches of today. 

While we learnt about Presbyterian distinctiveness today, I am glad to be able to relate to many of the pointers raised. Much of what the Presbyterians strive to achieve, such as mission works, and reforming based on scripture are close visions to independent churches like mine. (Perhaps less of literacy and education for my relative young re-startup church.) Having to deal with refugees in Thailand, I see the importance of missionary work in reaching out to the people in less developed areas in the world and how the love of God will be able to bless and reach out to these people in poorer regions.

It amazes me too that the Presbyterian churches have such unity amongst themselves. The long history and structure of running church together through Synod had provided a good foundation for unity to happen. 

Along the course of the two days however, I questioned the rationale behind focusing on the separation of denomination in churches. We were ultimately called to be one church in Christ. How then, do we achieve unity within different denominations of churches in Singapore? 

An overemphasis on the separation of denominations might alienate or mark differences between people (hence brings about conflicts or might repel unbelievers, or even believers, from churches). A good historical account of events that happened (such as the lectures provided) is necessary for individuals to fully comprehend why differences exist. At the same time, I realized that there are simply different ways of doing things, and ultimately believing in the same goal---to win hearts willing to build a relationship with God.

Having said that, I reflected upon how much further can I do for God on an individual basis in my church. We ended today’s session by sharing on what we have been doing in our respective churches, and though not actively serving in a ministry, I have been slowly accustomed into my “home”. In this transition period of my church currently, I feel that I should step up and help my church to strengthen in terms of building further, stronger relationship with the people who are staying and especially those in my immediate relation. In this period of changes in my church, there is a need for assistance in perhaps many aspects and I should start by being proactive wherever possible, where help is required.

Chin Wei Jun

No comments:

Post a Comment