Friday 23 May 2014

Presbyterian Disctinctive and God's Faithfulness - Sarah Tan

http://truthonair.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Faithful-God.jpg
Having been through the first two days in STEP, I must say that I am really looking forward to the rest of the programme!



To start off, Joshua Woo made clear to us the Presbyterian Distinctive which I found rather assuring as a Presbyterian. They are Mission and Church Planting, Literacy and Education as well as Reforming based on Scripture. It further strengthens my knowledge about my own identity as a Presbyterian. 

Also, one of my church member, Adriel, shared with me that the word "presbytery" comes from the Greek word "presbyteros", which means "elders". And that was rather interesting as I have never dug deep into what exactly do the words "Presbyterian" or "Presbytery" means. 



The question that strikes us most often is, 'What does being a Christian or a Believer mean?' rather than the specifics of our own denomination. So the speakers on the second day of STEP have brilliantly expounded on the Presbyterian history and what does being a Presbyterian mean, which I have greatly benefited from. 

And I think it is really important to know what being a Presbyterian means. And how we may have certain practices that are different from other denominations. 


Personally I have came across friends who question about Presbyterianism and how it differs from Catholism, of which the school I attended in Primary and Secondary level believed in, and of the Methodist or Baptist faith, where many of my friends in the prayer point in my Junior College believes in. I believe the answers that I have now are much clearer than the muffled thoughts I had previously. 



In the past 2 days, I have learnt many important things. However, one that really stood out was that God is really so faithful! Dr. Lee Soo Ann enlightened us on how the British won the Chinese in the first opium war which brought about a revelation in the Chinese community where there were many converts. This happened in 1839-1842, which till date 2014, has been more than 170 years, and we can look back in history (and in awe and amazement of God) and testify the good works God has installed for us in the coming ages. Surely He is a faithful God who has never, and will never, leave us nor forsake us. 

Also, what spoke to me, was the fact that the conversion of many Chinese during the first opium war was not by the most peaceful means.
This reminds me that all of us may have a rough start in something but eventually, all will fall into place and we can be sure of His faithfulness and goodness towards each and every one of us! How much more should we raise our arms, wide open, and thank God for being ever so faithful! 

Sarah Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment