Saturday 7 June 2014

A Great Cloud Of Witnesses - Grace Yong

Me and a cute boy~ heeheeee
This past week, one of the verses that has spoken to me a lot is Hebrews 12:1,2. 

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

The whole journey of STEP has come to an end, and the knowledge gained, the experiences and fresh perspectives are things that I hold dear to me. One of the biggest takeaways from STEP is that it has opened my eyes to the many ministries, sacrifices and contributions of different brothers and sisters in Christ who have heard and responded to God’s calling. I am thankful that this road we are journeying on is not an individual, lonely route, but that there are fellow servants of the Lord who are seeking his will and his way, and supporting and working with each other. 

These “great cloud of witnesses” can refer to people of the past who have sacrificed so much just to allow the gospel to reach us in Singapore, and can also refer to people who are living now and leading our churches towards God’s direction. STEP was a great chance for me to learn about and meet some of these people in person, and knowing that I am not alone in this race. It is comforting to know that others have been through and overcome whatever obstacles or doubts I will face in the future. In a sense, we are just like small parts of a big puzzle which God is putting together. We each play a role, regardless of our vocation or jobs, big or small, for God searches our hearts and willingness, and not our merits or accomplishments at the end of the day!

Hence, although currently I feel slightly burdened by the amount of information and finding God’s direction in my life, the race marked out for me, I know I can place them all in God’s hands and fix my eyes upon Jesus! This sounds quite cliché, but through these 3 weeks I have seen and felt God moving and working among his good servants here in Singapore! 

I pray that as we move on in our lives and seek to glorify God and run this race, that he will allow us to fix our eyes upon him, and away from things that are so minute yet distract us so much. Jesus is the pioneer/author and perfector of our faith, and that is why we don’t need to have so many burdens, for although we are lacking and sinful in so many ways, his presence and he himself makes our contributions and offerings to Him perfect. It is not so much how capable we are, but how amazing he is! Lord help me to never lose sight of your perfect grace, love and beauty every single day.

Grace Yong

No comments:

Post a Comment