Thursday 5 June 2014

Need To Put Theology Into Action - Kerrhui

Initially, I was quite skeptical of the trip to the farm and Healthserve, and I thought what could I learn from these programs when we will mostly be doing labour work instead of learning? However, it turned out that week 3 has been the most impactful week in STEP for me. This is because we saw many living testimonies right in front of our eyes and even have a first hand experience with God's mission fields in Singapore. 

The trips to Onesimus Garden and Healthserve were definitely an eye-opener for me and I realised how oblivious and ignorant I had been towards social issues and needs in Singapore. Indeed, as Pastor Andrew Choo exhorted, we often see and hear the problems, yet do not take any actions. No matter how much we hope to help the needy, without action, nothing will be done. 

I have been thinking, even though we have been gaining a lot of information and theological education in the first 2 weeks, if we do not integrate the learning into our lives and put the learning into use, then what is the use of the newfound knowledge? Actions really speaks louder than words.

Another important factor when it comes to doing God's mission, is the intentions behind doing 'good'. Many speakers pointed out how most of the time we are doing 'good' to benefit ourselves, to make ourselves feel good and seems saintlike instead of actually thinking of the ones in need. Mr. Timothy from Healthserve gave us a wonderful example of 'wrong intentions': he mentioned how some students came proposing big ideas to him for CIP and he would immediately reject them. It is because such 'supposedly great ideas' are meant to benefit the students by allowing them to complete their CIP hours and it is often a one-time off project that does little in aiding the needy in the long run. So when we do this, we are not actually thinking of the needy, but rather ourselves. 

The lesson learnt is that we also need to have commitment in doing mission. We should commit ourselves to such ministry for a long term, and not just pass and go. I would want to help out, but for how long, I do not know. I think that there is a need for me to rethink my motives and pray about it.

Kerrhui

No comments:

Post a Comment