Saturday 7 June 2014

Learning To Love Others - Glenn Ong

The visit to HealthServe was eye opening. The opening game was well done, to see the many reasons why many groups of people want migrant workers to have low wage. I was 1 of the 2 people in my group to role-play as the migrant worker during the game, the feeling of being entangled, caught in between everyone who wants you to be paid as little as possible really is horrible. 

The meal with the worker was the 1st time I was having a meal and hold a decent conversation with a migrant worker. To hear their struggles they are facing now, being injured and unable to work therefore no income for them to survive, it was just heart breaking. All I could do was to lend him a listening ear, buy him a drink and pray. It really broke my heart to see so many of them getting underpaid, overworked and now injured. This makes me see the sinful nature of man. 

How each of us wants the best not for one another, but for themselves. How the businessman wants to get the most out of them, paying the least they can at the same time. Sad to say, it’s not only the non-Christians that are selfish, even the Christians are. I know I am too, always pushing the blame and punishment to others, trying to get all the glory when I do something or achieve something. I’m ashamed many times because of what my desires are and how I give in to them. But I know there’s hope, hope in Christ for He has promised that we will be made new, sanctified, I pray that my desire is to know and love God more than myself.

What is love? Love is God sending Christ down to die so that we can be reconciled with Him once again. I pray that I’ll love God and His people. I pray that I’ll stop saying that I’ll love, I pray I’ll start loving instead.

Glenn Ong

No comments:

Post a Comment