Saturday 7 June 2014

Go - Sarah Tan

The final week of STEP was centred on one word - Go.



I have initially drafted out a few thoughts on the idea of serving but as I type and pen my thoughts on this reflection paper, something hits me (incredibly) hard.



I am currently (it's Friday now) into the second day of helping out at the SonQuest Rainforest Vacation Bible School (VBS) and today's Bible story was on the parable of the Good Samaritan. I am, then, humbly reminded of the sharing by Pastor Andrew at the Onesimus Garden. As he brilliantly puts it; We see, we hear, we do. 



I believe I have often been found guilty for the absence of the last element in this trio.  I am many times just like the Priest and Levite! That I see, I hear, but I walk away. Just as Rev. Lam Kuo Yung have enlightened us that God Himself is the "Missionary" and we are involved in the "Mission of God", we should be like the Samaritan! We have seen, we have heard, now it is the time to GO, to get out and partake in God's mission! 



We are all called to "GO" into different arenas in order to be part of His Mission. It is important to be sure of God's calling for myself and to be prayerful about it. Honestly, although I may not be clearly certain of my calling as of now, but I believe, as a Cabinet Minister casually remarked, that if God calls you to do it, He will open a door for you. If not, He will close the door. And if the door seems shut, and yet it is God's Will for you, He will push you through the door. I felt that it was rather heart-warming to be reminded that when God calls you and I to GO, He will make a way for us. 


Despite the different roles we are made to play in this world, the attitude that we should have as Disciples should be the same. We are to reflect the characteristics of Jesus as we embark on God's Mission. A song by Casting Crowns rightly puts it; "And I pray that they will see more of You and less of me." Ultimately, I believe that the light of Christ will, should and must shine through us as we go forth and do what we are uniquely called to do.

Sarah Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment