Saturday 7 June 2014

People Need God - Sharon Long


Last Tuesday was the first time I’ve been to HealthServe as a volunteer and it was a truly eye-opening experience for me. 

As Singaporeans, we generally lack the compassion for foreign workers and tend to overlook their needs and struggles since we do not interact with them frequently. Truth to be told, I am guilty for feeling this way towards them. Even though I might see them working under the hot sun or carrying heavy materials at the construction site, I lack the compassion in my heart and my heart fails to go out to them. However, after volunteering at HealthServe and understanding their situation better, I have definitely attained a different view towards these foreign workers.

It was great having to interact with a foreign worker and understanding his lifestyle. I have learnt so much despite having only approximately one hour with him. His experience reminded me how blessed I am as a Singaporean as I do not have to go through 50 minutes of bus ride, long and laborious working hours and even suffer a broken finger (injured by a saw). He was also very careful with his money spending and gave us many advices on financial planning and filial piety. While conversing with him, I was once again prompted about the importance of Chinese language. I thank God for putting me in a mandarin speaking church and cultivating me to spread the gospel in Chinese, allowing these foreign workers to be part of my outreach communities. However, easier said than done. I think my fellowship and I will have to take some time before gathering the courage and become more accepting of the foreign workers, since there already is an existing stigma towards them in the society.  

Later that night, we walked the routes of Lorong 16 and 18 to witness the commercial sex workers and how different their lifestyles are from ours. As I walked along the streets, I saw the several ladies who were dressed scantily trying to catch the attention of men walking past. Seeing them like this, it stirred my heart as I couldn’t comprehend why they would do this to themselves. Was this their only means of survival? Were they really that in need of money? It was a mixed feeling of both frustration and pity. I immediately saw the need of God in their lives and how God will be able to bring them out of their misery. Then again, reflecting on this, will I be daring enough to spread the gospel to them? I pray that perhaps, by volunteering at HealthServe, or through any other medium or opportunities, I could one day reach out to this community and tell them the good news of God. 

Sharon Long

No comments:

Post a Comment