Saturday 7 June 2014

Open the Eyes of My Heart Lord - Joshua Lee

This is mainly going to be a rehash of my sharing during the last day of STEP, but I think it is a good idea to pen it down, at least to prove to myself that I did indeed learn something. 

Ignorance, or living in my own bubble. I wonder if it stems from laziness, not wanting to consider other views. In previous reflections I have commented on my general indifference towards the Chinese language and in turn the Chinese congregation. That was the first step in the disintegration of the alternate "reality" that I was living in. 

Gradually, over the past three weeks or so, many of my preconceived notions about the faith were challenged. "To disturb the comfortable, and to comfort the disturbed" is a quote that I really like and it does seem that I had been very comfortable in my faith for a very long time. How often did I shut off during sermons, assuming that because I knew the passage, it had nothing new for me? This is why I am very thankful for the various lectures during STEP which provided me a deeper admiration of just how rich scripture can be. I would like to thank the organisers for assembling a top-notch lineup of speakers whom I have learnt much from. 

With this awareness of the depth of scripture, how much more must be revealed to me before I truly understand how limited my knowledge of the Bible is. There is no doubt of the importance of the Gospel truths, but if I just limit myself to that, I am missing out on so much more. At the end of the programme, I am just thankful for this STEP in my walk with God as He is slowly but surely revealing more and more of Himself to me.

Joshua Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment