Saturday 7 June 2014

Theology Drives Christian Living - Sharon Long

Last Sunday, we attended a service at a New Creation Church and there are many things to reflect on. In all honesty, I would say I generally enjoyed the service since it was much more sensational and feelings-evoking despite any flaws that were present throughout the session. It was actually comforting to see so many young people attending church and to know that the church community is actively growing.

Something that I have found intriguing since years ago was why mega-churches are so attractive to youth. Back in secondary school, I had a bunch of friends who suddenly started attending Heart of God (HOG) church and even went to the extent of inviting my whole cohort to their HOG event. Even from my church, I saw some friends whom I grew up with in church, leave for NCC. One answer I attained from my visit to NCC last Sunday was that these churches provide what the youth enjoy – sensational worship and sermons. 

Perhaps I am too used to the worship songs back in church, the songs led in NCC seemed shallow and repetitive without any purposeful meaning with the exception of evoking more feelings in us. Since youth these days are very much feelings-led, I feel that that could be the reason why they enjoy going to mega-churches so much. Truthfully, if I were brought to Christ in a mega-church, there could be a large possibility that I remain there because “the feeling is right”. Despite that, looking at the brighter side, mega-churches have done well in bringing more people to Christ, which is something my church and I need to reflect on. The youth from my church need to be more enthusiastic like those from mega-churches and outreach to bring gospel to others.

Sensational sermons are another contributor to the high rates of youth attendees. As Singaporeans, we are often stressed up and so caught up with our lives. Sermons with many theories of grace thus attract people to come forward to church and seek peace in God as they reflect on God’s grace for that week. Though I agree on always reflecting on God’s grace, I feel that it is also important for people to know about discipleship and fighting the war for God, instead of merely treating God as our shield. On a side note, I was appalled when I was told that NCC does not emphasise on discipleship. Wasn’t it clearly stated in Mat 16:24, that we have to deny ourselves and carry the cross to follow Christ? Looking at a few of my NCC friends, I can’t help but think this wrong teaching could be why I often see them living a non-Christ like life even though they profess themselves as Christians. I pray that one day, the eyes of their hearts would be opened and see the importance of living a life of a disciple. 

Sharon Long

No comments:

Post a Comment