Saturday 7 June 2014

Trusting God In Times Of Uncertainty - Yuanjie

This particular Monday was exceptionally enlightening, not so much because of the content or the performance of the speakers or the presenters but rather because it really did touch on a relatively heart felt issue and mindset that I always held. Having grown up in a household where practicality is of utmost importance, many of my life choices have been made on the premise of usefulness and potential, and under the need to "reduce risks".

Thus today was a big challenge, having seen two examples of people going into uncharted territories and doing where the work is needed and answering the call as where is needed. At the same time, the concept of risk reduction is completely not within their mindsets, but rather answering a certain calling and to respond in action to that hearing being the highest priority. With pastor Andrew Choo continuing with the farm without exactly knowing how it will turn out, and shiao yin continuing the restaurant business despite the ever present financial challenges. It goes against every fibre of my rational thinking, and yet makes perfect sense somehow.

In light of this, perhaps a disclaimer is necessary; I do not think that this should ever mean that everyone should quit their day jobs and go into social enterprises. I believe that each and every one of us has a path as charted out by God. I know at least to a degree of certainty that my path may turn out to be quite different from the two examples, and perhaps my area of expertise or ministry could be vastly different. Nevertheless, it sure is a great encouragement of how to trust in God's plan for us even if we do not know where it leads.

This was a badly needed message, I realize, even though I did not even know beforehand that I needed it. As much as I plan and self reflect, I really do not know what I need as much as He does, and I'm really glad for His ever present reminders.

Yuanjie

No comments:

Post a Comment