Saturday 7 June 2014

God's Mission Is More Than Evangelism - Alethea Lim


“How has STEP helped you in discovering God’s calling for you?”

Out of the three questions posed to us during the debrief session, I personally found this to be the most challenging to answer. To start, I came into this programme expecting to learn more about theology and never considered serving in full-time or part-time ministry, let alone serving as a future leader of a Presbyterian church; leadership has always been a daunting affair to me, and to be honest it still is. Perhaps it is time for me to consider stepping out of my comfort zone and to simply entrust it all to God.

As a lay member of the church and as a Christian, however, I think STEP has reaffirmed what I’ve believed to be God’s calling for me, and that is to follow Christ, to be an effective salt and light to the world God created, to make contributions – no matter how little they may seem – to my church, and to be involved in marketplace missions. As Abigail mentioned, “We have been placed here [in STEP] for a reason”, and I wholeheartedly agree with that.

Growing up, I’ve always believed that God has placed me in Singapore, in the family I’m born in, in the schools I’ve been to, in the church I am attending, in the course I am studying, and eventually in my future career for a reason. He knew me even before I was formed in my mother’s womb (Jeremiah 1:5) and He knows the plans he has for me (Jeremiah 29:11). This doesn’t only apply to me, but for all of us. God has a perfect design for each and every one of us, and He works in mysterious and wonderful ways. So even when we struggle to think about what God’s calling is for us, or even in just our usual daily struggles, we can have faith and take comfort that God is taking charge of our lives.

In this journey of not only discovering God’s calling but also living out a Christian life, I have wondered about how I can serve God in my best capacity. I recognise that I have received so much, and I want to give back in any way I can, but I’ve struggled with finding the most suitable outlets for it. Serving in the church choir and worship team are among them, but I know I should be doing more, which is something I’ve struggled with, especially because – prior to joining STEP – I thought missions were purely evangelical.

But God placed me in STEP for a reason, maybe a few reasons, and I think one of them is for me to realise that there’s more to God’s Mission and missions than simply evangelism. There are “worlds” out there that I have yet to explore or learn how to handle and for the church to reach out to, like creation care and different worldviews and faiths.

For instance, before joining STEP, I would never have made the link between God’s Mission and creation care despite having loved and admired God’s creation for so long. In addition, despite having grown up in a Christian environment, most of my friends are non-Christian, and there have been times when I doubted if I was being an effective salt and light to them, but when I think back now and remember how some of them have asked me, “Are you a Christian?” before I even mentioned my faith, I realise that maybe that is God’s way of telling me what His calling for me is. Furthermore, I have found and been reaffirmed, through STEP, about God’s calling for me to marketplace missions. As a future healthcare professional, there are certain limits to what I can do, but I hope that in the same way Christ has brought light into darkness, and following the example of the good Samaritan, I can shine and be a beacon to my future patients through the Holy Spirit’s guidance.

Finally, I just want to thank Pastor Willy Lau and Pastor Joshua Woo for organising the wonderful STEP programme, and the speakers and organisations for sharing with us. Thank you to all my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ whom I have spent the past three weeks with for the amazing time of fellowship and learning. And more importantly, thank you God for bringing us all to STEP and making this all possible.

To God be the Glory!

Alethea Lim

No comments:

Post a Comment