Monday 2 June 2014

'Science' Is Based On Philosophy Too - Marie Toh

This week, I was especially looking forward to the talk on ‘Christianity and Science’ as it has been an area of interest these recent times due to many of my friends asking me about my opinion on it.

What I took as one of the highlight from the talk was basically that Science is very much based on a philosophy, and a philosophy that is structured upon the belief, weather they like it or not, that this universe that we live in is in fact very orderly, and this order cannot come from a ‘disorder’, and how something can come from nothing is something even science cannot explain. Thus enforcing the view that there is definitely ‘something’ out there.

Although the talk only touched on science, in terms of theories (which I don’t know much about anyway), on a very surface level, I liked how the speaker brought a different perspective of how science can be approached. I do like the light-hearted and witty way the speaker comments about this subject, which in some sense, is a rather positive attitude to adopt when speaking on such a theoretical topic which usually leads to some sort of never ending debate.

As much as I would have loved to see more examples of how practical science has indeed ‘proven’ that God does indeed exist, I guess that is my ‘logical’ and ‘human’ side of me wanting to have hard concrete evidence, but in actual fact, the evidence is already everywhere and science is indeed, in its purest form, another form of philosophy.

However, at the end of the day, it is only through the work of the Holy Spirit that anoints our lips and touches a persons heart, and through this very enriching talk, I believe that the most beautiful thing about science and God is that God does not need science to explain who He is. I highly doubt science can ever explain God, because no creation can ever explain its creator, and this is what makes my faith stronger and more special. If science could one day explain exactly ‘what, who, when where and how’ God is, then the mystery of God would be lost, and He would be reduced to a chapter in our textbooks.

Marie Toh

No comments:

Post a Comment