Saturday 7 June 2014

Objectification - Yuanjie

On so many occasions we've easily went ahead to judge and dehumanize certain groups of people. The activities hence gave a different way to look at these whom we so easily turn into objects.

One such group is the clients of HealthServe. As CSWs and foreign construction workers, they have been looked upon as functional beings. Sharing a meal and talking with them brought another light to their existence and placed human faces and human stories to these characters in this societal narrative. In the process of the meal was also a realisation of where God has put us as Chinese Singaporeans in ministry and how important Chinese churches are in bridging these gaps and extending the gospel to these people (foreign workers). As I said my first ever prayer in Chinese, and I went about awkwardly continuing the conversation (with two of my similarly awkward peers) I can't help but feel a sense of regret that I've let this language be as distant as it is.

We're also known to dehumanize politicians and people in power, reducing them to mere campaign posters and political rhetoric. A dialogue session with a Minister broke that silent wall temporarily. The context with which he engaged us was not like that of the student-politician kind of engagement, but as fellow Presbyterians and Christians. It was eye opening as he shared about his journey, about policies, and how to harmonise his work carrying various hats and his faith. It was relevant, and gave insight and direction to myself too, on how I should conduct myself and to be a good testimony in my work in the public sector.

Having gone through three weeks of the program, I find a need that I cannot ignore. The step program has indeed opened many possible paths, and also made aware the many areas that are lacking in help. Indeed, the harvest is plenty and the workers few. I should seriously consider my role in church and society as a Christian.

Yuanjie

No comments:

Post a Comment