Saturday 7 June 2014

Mega-church, Knowing God, and Idolatry - Glenn Ong


One thing that has been on my mind is the exposure trip to a mega church. There’s just so much to say and share from that experience. After the service, I was happy and yet sad at the same time, however; the more I think, the sadder I become.

Many mega churches have many new members/conversions every week, that’s a really wonderful thing! However, at the same time, I’m really saddened by the sharing from the leaders. Many emphasize on HYPER GRACE and ignore the many things that the bible takes about. Things such as trials, stories such as Job as well as how a true Disciples of Christ life is like, to see and know the Cost of following Christ. 

I pray that they will one day know the entire bible, not just about hyper grace, how God will bless them and stuff like that. I pray that the members will truly call Jesus their Lord and Saviour, not so that they can GAIN BLESSING, but because of what He has done for us. 

During this exposure to a mega church, I realize how important knowing God and Jesus is so important. That what Rev. Tan said is true, you don’t need to FEEL God for Him to be there. What the mega church did was to create an ambience that made you feel more than to think during worship. One that I wasn’t comfortable with, one I don’t agree as well. I could go on longer but I’ll stop here.

On 2nd June, we went farming!!! Woohooo! Something so different from the many lectures that I keep attending. There was one thing that really made me think as I was plucking weed out. Charlie mentioned how plants had a strong will in them to survive, unless you pluck the root out, the weed will still be able to grow, manifest and harm the crops. So, I was walking down the line looking for the weeds that were growing. The big ones were the easy ones to spot and to pluck, but when it came to the small ones that were just budding, some part of me was too lazy to go and pluck it. But of course, cannot don’t pluck la, so I super sian, suck thumb and just pluck. But that made me think. 

The small ones that we CHOOSE to IGNORE will GROW and harm the crops. Likewise, not only the big idols in our life do we need to remove them, the small ones as well. If we take away the big ones but leave the small ones there, it will grow and it will harm us. That made me go back and reflect. I pray that I will be able to trust God and eradicate all the weeds in my life, not just the big ones, but the small ones too. 

Glenn Ong

No comments:

Post a Comment