Saturday 7 June 2014

Walk In A Lens Of Faith - Wei Jun

Life, as grounded: Entrance to Bethel Presbyterian Church.

The three weeks draw to a close. We stood at the steps of National Museum of Singapore, taking another group shot, ending our last official dinner together. The past three weeks had been eventful and filled with lots of lessons learnt. 

I have to admit that it was surprising to me as well. I came to the programme, thinking that I might not be able to fully commit to this but ended up coming every day without fail. And this is the reason why: my dearest new friends, thank you for making me feel at home in these three weeks. Each individual had sparked me with the warmth of a Presbyterian heart and with welcoming arms extended to show what it means like to be family. The three weeks had been filled with crazy info-intense lectures to somewhat hardcore hands-on farming. Thank you for keeping me awake and walking through those times together. The memories made and lessons learnt through these three weeks would hold dearly important to me and a STEPping stone to where we shall now begin (I can totally see all your faces and feel your responses now!)

Shiaoyin’s (co-founder of Thought Collective) sharing with us had left me reflective about the past three weeks of STEP, and possibilities to come. In this journey with God, she quoted Charles Spurgeon:
“Until the oyster is sick, it yields no pearls. Heavy damps of adversity make souls verdant. Saints, unlike the planes of earth, grow fastest in the sharpest weather. We make most progress in our voyage heavenward when the wind is rough: calms are more pleasant than profitable; better for comfort than for commerce: fairer in the present than in the retrospect. Affliction cuts the facets of the Lord’s diamonds, and so they shine with a greater lustre to his honor.”
Indeed, tough times are hard to go through. But they help us to discover our potentials and are necessary for growth. God can do amazing things in His time and I simply have to trust in Him. Life is a walk on water, and I can choose to walk in a lens of faith and less of fear. In the near days to come, I pray that I will shine forth for Him.

In these three weeks, STEP had provided me exposures to different possibilities, from facilities of theological studies to ministries and missionary works. These exposures helped me to realign certain biblical foundations to the things we do in the church and even out of the church. Importantly, many of the lessons learnt through the course of this programme would affect and aid in our future disciples, or simply, to share with our fellow church-mates. STEP had opened more doors of possibilities for me, and made me reflect upon ways I could possibly walk on water along with God and for God. While these three weeks come to an end, it simply marks my beginnings of a long, exciting journey ahead, filled with more possibilities and hopes.

Thank you Pr. Joshua Woo and Pr. Willy Lau for making this possible. 

Wei Jun

No comments:

Post a Comment