Thursday 29 May 2014

Because God Is With Us! (Week 2) - Crystal Tang

Talk by Rev Tan Tiong Ann on Theology of Worship & Sacrament
Ever since I became a Christian in secondary 1, I have always been told that BIBLE = Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. For a few years after accepting Christ, I could not understand what instructions they had, except for the commandments that were found in the old and new testaments. However, this thought have been debunked by Rev. Tan today as he spoke of how the bible SHOULD NOT become our instruction manual! Phew! 

In addition, I was much comforted by the fact that we are worshipping in the presence of God ALL THE TIME. Just because we don't "feel" the presence of God, does not mean that He is not present when we pray or worship Him with songs of adoration. Mentioned in John 6, the spirit of Christ is with us! Therefore, we don't need to fast just because we want to be in God's presence, but rather, do so because God is already here with us! This is what John Calvin says on music as a form of art in worship: "and certainly if singing is tempered to a gravity befitting the presence of God and angels, it both gives dignity and grace to sacred actions, and has a very powerful tendency to stir up the mind to true zeal and ardor in prayer. We must, however, carefully beware, lest our ears be more intent on the music than our minds on the spiritual meaning of the words." Indeed what a reminder to us worshippers of God! 

I wished I could read Latin, Greek and Hebrew! I'm sure the words and original literatures would come alive at once (provided the fluent reading and comprehension is present). Time to get really excited for this Honours year to be over and explore all these wonderful and meaningful opportunities! TO GOD BE THE GLORY!

 
As much as reluctance hits for the second week of STEP to come to an end, my heart is constantly filled with gratitude for everything that happened. I specially want to thank God for the memorable fellowship and pastoring received through the program. Certainly, none of us came here by chance and it has been encouraging to be together with people of common goals and visions. To me, this experience has been a refreshing and healing one. I couldn’t help but thank God further for each and every one of you!   

As we sang the song ‘One Voice’ and ‘The Church is One Foundation’ during devotion on Wednesday, I couldn’t help but smile. I have sung this song umpteen times before but that was a special experience. For once, I could reconcile so much with the lyrics as flashbacks of the times we had at STEP program ran through my mind. Instantly, my heart was warmed. One Lord, One faith, One birth…and to one hope she presses, with every grace endued…

Crystal Tang

No comments:

Post a Comment