Sunday 25 May 2014

Knowing Our Roots and Growing Branches - Amanda Pan

I was reminiscing of the dearly missed History lessons I used to attend back in secondary school as I attended the last few days of seminars. However, the significant difference was that Christianity is not only directly relevant to my faith but my identity.  

These lessons have left me in awe of the richness of Christianity’s history, especially that of Presbyterianism. Understanding the significance of the Presbyterian emblem and the burning bush has greatly encouraged me to press on in my faith, especially in times of struggles and difficulties. 

Although I have yet to face serious persecution, I know that such times are inevitable as the years go by. To be burning and not be consumed is to persevere in the face of trials and tribulations and holding on to the hope from God’s promises.

It has always been a struggle for me to answer questions related to Presbyterianism before STEP. As a second generation Christian, I risked neither knowing nor questioning what being a Presbyterian really meant. It had never occurred to me how pertinent it was to possess (at least) a fundamental knowledge of Presbyterianism. 

Introspectively, I wonder about the many other Presbyterians in the world who have yet to find out about their roots and the importance of having such knowledge. Understanding my roots will not only help equip me with answers to questions regarding my denomination, but also to appreciate God’s development of the Christian faith over the past years in Singapore, South-East Asia (SEA) and even Europe. 

The seminar on Christianity in SEA by Dr. Violet James reminded me of the times I was preparing for my first mission trip to Thailand. I vividly recall learning about the Thai culture, practices, taboos and their warped and tainted understanding of Christianity due to the influence of animism. It was not till I arrived in Thailand did I realize how real and damaging syncretism was. Bringing syncretism back to the local context (and perhaps, on a more personal level), it is especially difficult for the older generation to get rid of deep-rooted misconceptions of Christianity. 

While it is important to eradicate syncretism and maintain the authenticity of Christianity, exhibiting sensitivity and the love of Christ in dealing with this issue is imperative. What this really implies is that the great commission and mission work whether global or local, are not easy tasks. In John 6:44, Jesus says that “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him”. Therefore, we have to continually pray for the softening of hearts, especially for those whom we are intending to reach out to.

I am personally challenged to be less inward-looking regarding my faith. Although it is important to continually examine my personal relationship with God, I have come to realize my neglect of the much bigger picture and purpose of Christ and His great Commission for us as His disciples. It remains a concern for me to grow not only in depth but also in breadth in my relationship with the Lord. Not only to be rooted in Christ, but also to be His hands and feet in reaching out to those who do not yet know Him. 

Amanda Pan

No comments:

Post a Comment