Sunday 25 May 2014

God Has A Reason For Everything - Sheryl Chng

Propaganda poster depicting the people's desire for freedom.
Today, Dr. Violet James presented to us about how Christianity came about in South East Asia. I think it was really very interesting how she pointed out that colonialism led to independence, which subsequently resulted in the nationals being forced to take up leadership positions in their respective churches. Although the Japanese Occupation was a time of grief, a time when many of our forefathers were being tortured and stuff, it also, surprisingly, brought about some benefits! Especially with regards to the church, I think the benefits were overwhelming; had it not been for colonialism, the British might still be ruling our churches, and there would possibly be fewer Singaporeans stepping forward to serve their church.

I think this insightful insight by Dr Violet James brought to light the fact that whenever something goes wrong, or whenever something doesn’t go our way, God has a reason for whatever is happening, and His plan for us is always for the better. Although I know it in my head, there are times when I fail to believe it in my heart. I’m pretty sure the Christians of Japanese Occupation period were all trying to trust that God will work things out, but I wonder how many actually believed that.

This short eighteen years of my life have been quite smooth sailing thus far. God has been very good and very gracious to me, in a sense that nothing extremely terrible has happened to me just yet, but I think as I venture into adulthood, it is very important to know and truly believe that God really has a bigger and better plan.

Actually, it is good for us to occasionally look back on our lives, to see how God has worked through our impossibles, to see how He has made right the wrongs, and to see how He has placed everything into perspective. My grandma battled with cancer for four exhausting years, but this was what led her to Christ, and the benefit of have everlasting life in heaven definitely outweighed the cost of having a painful death on this earth. So when we face obstacles and challenges, we should always just commit everything to God, and wait patiently for Him to bring us to where He wants us to be. :)

Sheryl Chng

No comments:

Post a Comment