Sunday 25 May 2014

Reflection 1 on STEP - Nicholas Khaw

First off, I disagree with your notion on a supporting picture and being the rebellious chap that I am, I have decided to forgo it without consent. I prefer to express myself in prose. 

So, as is customary in reflections, perhaps I shall start with expectations. I came into STEP hoping to grow in my walk with God; with emphasis on theological study that I hoped would be of a higher level than what is usually offered at the local church. Secondarily, it was to meet other like-minded people that I could call my peers.

I must say that I expected more in terms of the study in academic terms. That can be, perhaps, attributed to it being the first week though so I shall refrain from judging. We shall see how it goes. I felt the many talks we had these week had too much overlap. I feel paiseh for the speaker trying to impart a perceived exciting fact (E.g Keasberry) about something that had already been mentioned twice in the preceding days. Perhaps something could be done about limiting the scope to prevent overlap?

That being said, spending more time in a Christian environment is always positive, everything else being equal (ceteris paribus?). It is comforting and reassuring to know that there are other people striving for the same cause and with perhaps more zeal and passion than I. Others having made the tough changes that I still struggle with and doing what I have known to be right (yet not done). The forerunners and trailblazers make the path much brighter and less scary and lonely. This is especially so when the ground covered by them (University) is the ground I am most likely going to enter in the future. I think this environment where I can learn from, and hopefully contribute to is beneficial for all our lives.

I would also add that I think the hours are rather short for a full day program. I mean, starting at 1000 and ending at 1630 clocks in at a mere 5.5 hours of program a day. 

Most of the speakers that we have had thus far are decent, though. The variety of speakers is appreciated though perhaps, time constraints limit their full effectiveness. 

I am very pleased with certain topics or viewpoints brought up by speakers that align with my current frame of mind giving me a sense of validation. However, I am also refreshed to have met with several opposing ideas that have allowed me to rethink and reshape my mind. (Note here there is a distinction between these ideas, topics and viewpoints that I am looking for and the ‘facts’ or ‘stories’ that I find terribly mundane and repeated in the third paragraph.)

Looking to the future, I think that this week bodes well for the rest of the program. I am cautiously excited for it.

Nicholas Khaw

No comments:

Post a Comment