Sunday 25 May 2014

Theology Must Empower the Church - Joshua Xie

During the lecture by Dr. Clive Chin, he mentioned that he had met a (unknown) seminary graduate who was apprehensive about going back to church to serve because he/she could not reconcile what he/she learnt during seminary and what was happening in reality. 

That was really disturbing for me. It is both ridiculous and saddening at the same time, when a seminary graduate implies that the things being taught in theological college is not able to prepare them in leading the church and community. Theology is the study of who God is. It really is ludicrous that the understanding of who God is would have no relevance in helping the church grow. 

Dr. Clive Chin as well as Dr. Simon Chan both touched about “what it means to be theologically educated” and “the importance of theological education for church ministry and social engagements”. This brings me to the purpose of learning theology. Why is there a need to learn about, to understand God? 

Most personally, it is to live a God centered life, having a Christian world view to analyze and discern the world as it is, and to respond in a way that glorifies this God that we worship. Upon having a deeper understand about the larger context, putting everything in perspective, church leaders also have the duty to foster spiritual growth among the congregation and even to administer to people who may even be out of their comfort zone. To keep theological education purely as head knowledge without ministering to God’s sheep would be failing God’s purpose of electing us as leaders.
 
Living in today’s society, it would be impossible to close both eyes to problems happening in and out of church. I believe that having that genuine heart to love God and his people would eventually lead us seeking His will to guide His people in Jesus’ footsteps even in this dark world. Dedicating our lives to aims and objectives not because of obligation but rather because of that Godly love for our brothers and sisters. Our God is omniscient and just. As Psalms 139 says:
1 You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. 2 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. 3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways... 10 even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
Even as things may sometimes become a routine, or boring, my prayer is that we would hold on to that love for God and His works, His grace will always be enough (2 Cor 12:9) despite whatever weakness we have. Through the Holy Spirit, may His will be revealed (1 Cor 2:10)to how leaders should protect His sheep.

Joshua Xie

No comments:

Post a Comment