Sunday 25 May 2014

Other Internships & STEP - Changzhong

We need Christ tinted lenses to see
The world for what it is.
We need Cross shaped lenses to discern
The person I’m to be
The world behind, I take that STEP
To perfect my lenses, to set my sights.

I entered STEP with many reservations. As a university student, the summer holidays that follows the end of year 2 is especially crucial. It is the time when people scramble for internships to boost their CVs and to gain an appreciation of how various other firms operate. All of these are geared towards increasing their chances of securing a job, and ultimately, to pave the way for their future. As a young student who seeks a comfortable future and raise a family, my concerns were no different.

Therefore, when my pastor added me into a WhatsApp group to encourage a group of us to join STEP, I was very reluctant. I told him that I will only accept the offer if I fail to secure any internships for that period. At that time, I had applied for two internships for that period, and I was dearly hoping that I will be accepted.

However, as the Lord plans, I failed to secure either internship. I could either apply for more, or simply accept STEP. Given that I had given my word to my pastor, I accepted STEP. Yet it was with a heavy heart, for there was much fear and trepidation residing deep within me. My June and July had other important plans, like planning for church camp and a module that starts early. May was thus the best option for any internships. Without it, I will be going through my summer with 0 internships, when my peers have going through at least 2, and even up to 4 internships.

Even on the first day of STEP, I was still conflicted as to whether my decisions were for the best. Seniors I spoke to had on one hand, assured me that participating in internships was not a decisive factor. On the other hand, others told me that internships do make a difference.

What comforted me, however, was the Synod Moderator’s opening address to us. Rev. Philip’s words resonated with me when he told us that he was aware of the importance of internships during the holidays. What especially assured me were his following words: that it was by far the wiser choice for us to seek not our own glory, but the glory of God’s kingdom, and that participating in STEP was the wiser choice.

Now, having enjoyed 2 days of STEP, I have no regrets. The Lord has blessed me immensely with such a warm group of friends and such an enriching and meaningful program. My future is uncertain, but that is no cause for concern…

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matthew 6:33-34)

Zhuang Changzhong

No comments:

Post a Comment