Sunday 25 May 2014

STEP: "Mindblown" Internship! - Reuben Yap

A week of meeting new people and getting “mind-blown” during the talks has past and as I look back, surely this is more important than the other internship that I would have gone for had I been selected for it. When I was asked by my pastor to consider attending this STEP, I didn’t give him a reply immediately as I was waiting for a reply from the other companies that I had applied to be an intern. 

Honestly, I would rather work as an intern in those companies than to attend STEP, so disappointed I was when I didn’t get selected and treated STEP as a backup plan instead. My disappointment turned to gladness, as I wouldn’t want to miss this valuable opportunity to grow and learn spiritually with like-minded people.

Truly enough, STEP does expose you to the various understanding of theology and the history of the churches in SIngapore, I did surely gain new insights from the talks and seminars held at the two colleges and church in Singapore. I got to understand the birth of churches and also the historical significance and meaning of why and how churches form and the purpose of their founding. 

Part of being a STEP intern also encourages you to start on ministry projects, which could be on available ministries or a new ministry initiative. After the interns have shared their ideas, we realised that our initiatives are similar and that the issues we are targeting are also similar. Though we are from different churches, the challenges we face are not that different. We could cooperate with each other in terms of sharing of experience in dealing with such issues or brainstorming and coming up with new ideas to tackle such issues. This shows that our work is never done and we should not rest on our laurels to think that church work is always smooth sailing. 

Before attending STEP, I never really gave much thought into theology. After attending the talks however proved that many things we do have a purpose and can be linked to theology. Our theology must be sound and in order to assure that we must study the word and understand it. The learning just cannot stop.

Reuben Yap

No comments:

Post a Comment