Monday 26 May 2014

Presbyterian Distinctive Clarifies Presbyterian Mission - Alethea Lim

Over just the first two days of the STEP programme, there was already a lot of excitement and joyful yet contemplative fellowshipping together with the other interns as we were brought together orientation on the first day and introduced to the Presbyterian history, distinctive, as well as its movement in the colonial past and the Singapore Synod’s organisational structure. On the first day itself, we were already quick in breaking the ice and having fun sharing about ourselves and learning about others. It was certainly a fantastic start to the STEP programme.
 
Aside from team-building games, the introduction to the STEP programme and its purposes filled me with anticipation. A broad spectrum of topics will be covered over the three weeks, aiming to equip other interns as well as myself with the exposure and knowledge that can be beneficial to our respective churches and the ministries we may be serving in. I believe it will be an eye-opening experience guided by God.
 
The second day has already met that expectation through the various talks. Prior to joining this programme, I did not know the differences between the different Christian denominations and the characteristics of a Presbyterian despite having grown up in a Presbyterian church. I also did not know anything about the Presbyterian history and movement, neither was I clear about the Singapore Synod’s organisational structure.
 
Now, however, I have learnt many interesting points about these topics. For example, a Presbyterian distinctive is its focus on education and literacy, and the movement of Presbyterianism in Singapore can be explained by occurrences taking part in different parts of the world. In listening to these talks, I can see God’s presence and guidance in the way Christianity spread and grew to how it is in modern times, and I feel very encouraged by it because it is an illustration of how the sowing of seeds in people from other countries, particularly China, is able to grow into the harvest that is Singapore Christianity, particularly Singapore Presbyterianism, today. This has further reinforced the Bible’s teachings about the importance of planting the spiritual seeds. At the same time, it is an illustration of how God will surely pave a way for the growth of mission and the spreading of the Gospel despite opposition or an external force’s attempt at stopping the growth of Christianity.
 
In addition, learning about the Presbyterian distinctive and history has given me a clearer picture of the mission and purpose of Presbyterians. As my church has recently celebrated its 130th anniversary last year and the milestones over these 130 years, I hope that, with the new knowledge I have been equipped, I will be able to see how my church’s growth in respect to its mission and vision as a Presbyterian church in Singapore aligns with the purpose and distinctive of Presbyterianism.
 
With so much excitement and informative sessions in the first two days, I hope that the spirit of the programme can be maintained for the rest of the three weeks and enable me to learn even more together with the other interns.

Alethea Lim

No comments:

Post a Comment