Friday 30 May 2014

To Serve in Pastoral Ministry or Marketplace? - Glenn Ong

Since the 1st day of the STEP programme, pastors and lecturers have all labelled us as the group of leaders for the Presbyterian Church. Some who would be elders other deacons, but for a special group of people, they will be called to be the next generation of Presbyterian pastors. I remember the 1st time I heard Pastor Joshua ‘challenging’ us to consider the option of studying theology and to become a Presbyterian pastor, which is super rare nowadays. 

To be utterly honest, a part of me is definitely feeling God’s prompting (trying not to use the word calling) to really be a pastor. Why? That’s because He has placed a strong burden in my heart for His sheep as well as the lost. Thought I know and feel the need of new pastors and His prompting for me to go into pastoral ministry, I also know and see the need that the marketplace NEEDS Christians to be there. It needs God fearing and faithful Christians to be there to shine for His name. ‘To be in the world, but not of the world’ I think it’s particularly relevant here.

Internship seminar has been quite structured the way pastor Gideon lead it the 2 times that I’ve experienced. It’s very tiring, but at the same time I understand where he is coming from. How this small step like writing statements are so important. I love the way he talks, with so much passion, like desperately wanting to help us, to equip us with it so that we can better the church. Though I really didn’t like thinking through and writing down all the statements and all, I did! It forced me to think of what I felt was lacking/not too good in KPC. 

As a youth leader, I personally feel the lack in the desire/want to share the gospel that the youths know. Many of us don’t actively want to tell their friends about this great news, we live our everyday life no different from that of our non-christian friends, what more about our youths. In the bible, 1 day 2000-3000 people can be saved, and the very next day the same number of were saved again. 

That’s how GOOD the good news were to them. They went out on that same day to tell all their friends about it and they gathered the next day to listen and after listening the believed. It’s that crazy! It’s that amazing! IT’S THE GOOD NEWS. Are we truly believing in the gospel, truly convicted? Or are we lukewarm Christians? What’s stopping me from sharing? To lose that friend, and also to be labeled ‘holy’. It’s my pride, I pray that I’ll learn to love God more than myself. Pray that I’ll love my neighbor (friends) more than myself as well.

Glenn Ong

No comments:

Post a Comment