Friday 30 May 2014

Knowledge Puffs Up, Love Builds Up (1 Cor. 8:1) - Grace Yong

This week has been a week full of learning and gaining new insights and perspectives from the different teachers. We were exposed to many forms of theology such as systematic theology, Christian living, worship and biblical counselling. Looking back, at times I felt overwhelmed by the amount of knowledge we absorbed. The more I learnt, the more questions surfaced. 

I enjoy the intense discussions I had with brothers and sisters about such issues over lunch and during our free times, and I am truly thankful for fellow believers who see the importance of such issues that concern our understanding of God. I have also come to see the subtle differences in theology and beliefs each of us may have, be it with believers in Presbyterian churches, churches of other denominations, as well as with nonbelievers. 

At times I find myself digging so deep, and straining myself intellectually and emotionally that at the end of the day I feel tired and realize that I have lost sight of what really matters. My friend once shared with me that when we imagine seeing God in heaven next time, will we be asking Him about such subtle differences or arguments about theology, or will we be enjoying the time spent with God and with us, his children?

I am thankful for this precious time of reflection, because through this I have been reminded that although learning and gaining knowledge is indeed important, we need to set our focus on Christ, for He is the One we worship and seek. We need to guard ourselves, and be careful not to fall prey to pride or depend too much on our human intellectual minds. We need to know why we are seeking such knowledge in the first place. 

God is my reason, and I pray that God will constantly point me back to Him, and that He will be at the heart of why I seek to learn more about theology. As brothers and sisters who believe in the same God, the same Father, the same Jesus Christ, and the same Holy Spirit, I pray that we will work together and serve the Lord, in love as well, in spite of our differences!

Grace Yong

No comments:

Post a Comment