Sunday 25 May 2014

On Presbyterianism and Christianity in the Context of Singapore and Southeast Asia - Yuanjie

I write this reflection with respect to the history classes that we have had in the course of the first week of the STEP program.

Growing up in a Buddhist household, and a relatively traditionally Chinese family, Christianity has always been to me as an "ang moh" religion. I think this has then played out in my life and even though I have been a Christian for a while these feelings still quite inevitably resurface.

It is very heartening to then see that the Presbyterian history actually runs parallel to Singapore's history, and played a very paramount role in the coming of age of Singapore and its development. Presbyterian history, in particular, has its fair share of affecting Singapore and the Chinese people, and hence this fact makes Christianity just that bit more relatable and local.

Thereafter, the development of Christianity in the region was also something that had many lessons (even though most of the insight I gathered was largely secular) about how nations develop, and how differences in the attitudes and the regime of the colonial leaders eventually gave rise to very different dynamics of the development of faith systems in say, the context of Indonesia and Philippines. I think this also brought home the fact that our actions, as Christians and hence evangelisers and fishers of men, will inherently affect the landscape of the world, in that duration of time and achieve vastly different results, hence the need for a very sensitive awareness of our actions.

I guess, being a recent Christian, and a way more recent Presbyterian (having spent most of my awaken time in an Evangelical Free congregation), at this stage in time, being an ‘official’ Presbyterian leader is still a rather distant concept, much less doing full time ministry. The visit to both colleges were enlightening though, and they give the impression of a certain reliable structure to the knowledge gained, should ever the call to full-time ministry fall upon me. At this stage nonetheless, I feel very blessed to be where I am now. Stumbling into the faith, then stumbling into a Presbyterian environment, by very random, unprecedented happenings, it’s difficult to discount God from this whole process, and it is indeed his grace and sovereignty that led me here.

I guess at this stage in time, I know that God has a plan for me, and on my side, I shall just try my best to learn as much as possible from this program and see what God points me towards and prepares me for thereafter. I look forward to the lessons, the fellowship, and the precious time to completely immerse and soak in God’s word uninterrupted.

Soh Yuanjie

No comments:

Post a Comment