Monday 26 May 2014

STEP: Where I Discover My Roots - Matthew Saw

Prof. Lee Soo Ann
Presbyterianism had always been a mystery to me. Although I am (technically) a 3rd generation Christian, my parents changed churches multiple times when I was younger, and for a long period of time, stopped attending altogether. I had to discover the love of God through Christ the hard way (not through my parents explaining it to me), and thus never really got why we would divide ourselves into denominations, and all that complicated governance stuff. 

Part of this problem comes from the fact that many of my contemporaries don’t actually know what Presbyterianism is all about, how our style of church governance defines us, and have forgotten many of the core tenets, motivations, and beliefs that our founding fathers held on to.

I believe that this holds true for many young laypeople, and even young leaders of the church. Have we forgotten that education of the next generation was one of the principles that Presbyterians in the beginning believed in? 

They were so firm in their practice of that principle, that Presbyterian clergymen were described as some of the most learned men of their time. God warns that “those who teach will be judged more strictly” (James 3:1). With our history in education, there are very strong reasons why those holding teaching positions in Presbyterian ministry should start taking their theology, and our history, seriously. 

That aside, our history contains our identity as Presbyterians. With this rich culture behind us, if we were to once again draw close to that history, it would give us a richer appreciation for the formation of many aspects of church life. I believe that by empowering youths with this knowledge, we can start to restore God’s original purpose for the Presbyterian Church.

I love how I now finally know the roots of my denomination. Knowing where it came from, how it spread through the world, and how it has shaped what we see now blew my mind. I was amazed at the rich tradition and culture of education and knowledge that the Presbyterians had. They had a love for God and a love for the Word, and were respected by people. They set up schools, printed educational materials, and brought people God’s Word in their native languages. 

I hope that I can carry this Presbyterian tradition and history with me, and make a positive move back toward our theology and principles.

Matthew Saw

No comments:

Post a Comment