Monday 26 May 2014

My Faith Grew - Alethea Lim

On the third and fourth days of the STEP programme, we had the opportunity to visit Trinity Theological College (TTC) and Singapore Bible College (SBC) and attend the various talks given by the academia staff. I was astounded at all of the things I’ve learnt about God and the Bible from them, and I find my faith growing stronger as I learnt more. 

Devotions for the past week truly spoke to me, particularly the devotion for the third day where we discussed about whether we are qualified to serve. Oftentimes I feel that I am inferior to many of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, and that I cannot match up to what they are capable of doing. However, God has consoled me through the passages and video shared during the devotion, and I am assured of the fact that God can still use me no matter what shortcomings I have, and that is very reassuring. 

On the topic of the talks, they were very intriguing and intellectually stimulating. Through the talks, I have learnt about what theological education means, and the importance of theological education for church ministry and social engagement. In learning about the meaning of theological education and what it entails, as well as the purposes of being theologically educated, it puts spiritual growth, church ministry and social engagement in an entirely new perspective. 

For example, I have learnt that indirect theological education plays such a vital role in the church. In the way we conduct worship and meetings, say our prayers, and dress when we are attending church, we are in fact indirectly conveying our understanding of God and our faith and this may have an impact on other Christians’ understanding of God and the Bible. Additionally, on the aspect of social engagement, I have learnt the theological importance of social services and engagement in social issues, the latter being something I usually shy away from. However, after learning more about the importance of such social engagement, I think it is more appropriate for me to start learning about these issues and reflect on what can be done as an individual as well as a church. 

I have also learnt more about the Old Testament and the New Testament through attending the talks, in particular how Bible Study should be conducted, as well as the topics of prophecy and creation and the Book of Revelations. It is simply amazing how much there is to find out and learn by conducting Bible Study in a certain manner, that is, to consider the genres, linguistic analysis, historical context, and literary context, and makes me wonder if something similar can be done for the Bible Study sessions in my own church fellowship. At the same time, I can see the beauty of God in both ideas of creatio ex nihilo and creatio ex chaos, and even in the order of His creation. It is such an incredible perspective to learn about.

By linking what I have heard in the talk about Christianity in Southeast Asia to the previous talk about the Presbyterian movement in colonial times, once again I am able to see God’s presence and guidance in the way Christianity spread in Southeast Asian history. There were quite a few interesting points I’ve learnt, such as whether colonialism can be linked to Christianity, and how the pre-existing cultures in certain countries may have an impact on the way Christianity grew in those countries. There is also something to continue reflecting upon, which I have learnt from the talk, and that is the role of contextualisation especially in overseas mission work.

Finally, I have also learnt more about youth ministry and the various problems that it is facing today. I hope to be able to apply what I’ve learnt by considering the context of the youth ministry in my own church and what possible improvements or initiatives can be made to continue strengthening the youths spiritually so that we would be able to make a difference in our church together.

Alethea Lim

No comments:

Post a Comment