Saturday 31 May 2014

Of Secular States and 'Cheem' Lectures - Timothy Hou

Week 2 started with us going to the Ministry of Home Affairs, or more specifically, Internal Security Department's Heritage Centre! Initially I was rather sceptical as it did not seem to have much in relation to what we were doing at STEP. But as we went through the exhibits detailing the numerous conflicts that Singapore went through in its growth as a nation, I was once again reminded of the fact that peace is not so easily come by, and part of the reason for this peace is the fact that Singapore is a secular nation state. It helped me better appreciate the relationship between church and state especially for us Christians called to evangelism, where we have to be mindful of not infringing upon the religious rights of others. I much liked the tour guide, as he was a former policeman, and had numerous interesting stories to tell! A STEP up in exposure indeed, haha.

After which, we went to Bethel Presbyterian, where at there we kick started off the first of the lecture series by Rev. Tan Tiong Ann. But before that, I was amazed at Bethel! From the architecture, to the layout of the building, it was evident that the planners of the compound had placed much thought so that there would be visible reminders of God’s truth and hope. It was also situated in a huge compound, and somehow it was very windy! I think we spent a good 15 mins exploring and looking at the place! 

Did I mention Rev. Tan started the first of the lecture series? He gave lectures on several topics, ranging from worship, to the sacraments, to Christian living. He is a man who has learned and thought widely and deeply, and while most of the times I had difficulty trying to grasp his ideas, these are the few takeaways I had.
On worship, one of the things was that we should always be respectful of the different worship styles of other denominations and churches, and also the fact that there is no single word for ‘worship’ in the original biblical text. Also, worship is not simply the use of instruments and voices for singing! The order of the service, or liturgy in other words, matter too! I liked the focus on the confession being the first part of the service. But for me, I think I shall still stick to hymns and organ playing as the preferred form of worship! The lyrics are rich in thought and depth, which often prompts thinking during worship.
The next lecture, which was more interesting, spoke on sacraments. I find the Holy Communion very hard to understand! How is the presence and remembrance of Christ to be interpreted? There are so many views, and honestly all the views make some sense in one way or another. I could understand why catholics reached the conclusion of transubstantiation since one might take a literal view of the words: This is my body. And I think interpretation of how the communion is like, and what it means, is one of the main sticking points when it comes to differences in denomination. But even then, as far I can understand, I shall take the communion in the faith and with the knowledge that God is with me and my sins have already been forgiven, and that I am free, being saved by Christ.
Most of these lectures were delivered also with a focus on John Calvin, his thoughts and works and beliefs concerning these essential topics. Personally though I use Calvin’s commentaries, and I have read a few of his works, I am not very acquainted with his thinking and beliefs, and consequently am not sure how to comment on the fact that we may be placing too much emphasis on him. But at the same time I think, one cannot deny the profound thought and entirely new ways he had of systematizing theology and bringing it into actuality in the governing of Geneva. It is amazing that, after over 400 years, Presbyterianism still finds a ‘revival’ in his teachings.

Timothy Hou

No comments:

Post a Comment